Gabrielle Bisset

Monday, August 27, 2012

Time To Say Goodbye

That title sounds so melodramatic, doesn't it?  Let me explain. Last June, I published a little novella entitled Vampire Dreams. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it was a response to something I was dealing with in my professional life and gave me the catharsis that I needed. I never expected it to become what it grew into, but that little novella paid my mortgage for more months than even I can believe. However, now it's time to say my goodbyes to that terrific little story.

In truth, Vampire Dreams was the beginning of my Sons of Navarus series and the beginning of that incredible character, Vasilije. He's a hedonistic bastard and I love him. I still get the pleasure of writing him now because he's a focal character in the Sons series, but it all began with that little novella.

True confession time. It's not my best writing. Hell, it's nowhere close to my best writing. You want that? Try my other books, particularly the Sons of Navarus series and Destined Ones series. No, Vampire Dreams was just sexy. It has a lonely vampire who wants love and meets the woman of his dreams. At night, he visits her in her sleep and...well, Brandon may be lonely, but he knows how to seduce a woman.  The book was never meant to be more than it is. Unlike many of my stories, there's no underlying theme or meaning. It's just pure sexiness.

That it took off like it did still surprises me. It spent months on the Amazon Top 100 Erotic books list along with the Top 100 Vampire Romance books list, and even made it onto some private lists by readers. There have been a fair share of souls who didn't love it. One person accused me of writing rape because Brandon seduces Arden under hypnosis. But for every time I got a complaint, I got 20 raves. I've gone back and read it a few times and you know what? It's not me at my best, but it's damn sexy.

I rewrote Vampire Dreams to be an official sequel to the Sons of Navarus series, and that book, Vampire Dreams Revamped has gotten rave reviews. If you read both, you see the difference not only in the story but in the writing. As they say, I've come along way, baby.

So now it's time to say goodbye to the original Vampire Dreams. As of September 1, it will only be found in the Victorian Erotic Romance Trilogy, along with its sister novellas Love's Master and Masquerade. They'll remain as novellas found on their own and in the Trilogy, though.

I will always appreciate that first book and its success. While Vampire Dreams Revamped is a much better book, there will always be a place in my heart for that little novella that started it all, Vampire Dreams.





6 comments:

C. L. Pardington said...

I loved the first one and I'm happy to say I have my copy before it goes away!

Anonymous said...

I loved the first book and make sure I will get my paperback copy before it is no more. This was a great start to an awesome new series.

Unknown said...

i read it as part of the trilogy, enjoyed it very much. its hard to say goodbye, but you'll always remember that it started the sons. with the revamp longer and more sons its a fitting replacement.

bittenbyromance said...

Well just my luck, just when I get a chance to read it and I have it to be posted on the blog in a couple of days. I'm glad I seen this first.
Every writer grows as the keep writing and their first book is never going to be their best, but this one is so freaking sexy and that what makes it great. Now, I have to go buy the other one to see what you have cooked up for them now. I just hope he keeps visiting her in her dreams. Heck vampires are supposed to take advantage and readers needs to know vampires better than this fluffy crap they put out now.

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! I really still love that novella, but I want to make sure readers aren't confused between Vampire Dreams and Vampire Dreams Revamped.

And I'm with you Laurie! I was shocked when that person accused me of writing rape. What's the world coming to when you can't write a little sexy nighttime visit story? LOL

Unknown said...


I also have mine in the Trilogy, but love the Revamped version even more!!

Definitely no rape in there!! I for one, love having your sexy nighttime stories close beside me.