Gabrielle Bisset

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Celebrate Now Before The End Comes

I'm one of those souls who has always had a problem with stores putting up their Christmas decorations before Black Friday. I hate the season to be rushed, and the trend of putting holiday stuff up even before Halloween is over is just ridiculous.

Happy Hallowthanksmas!

This year the decorations seemed to come out even earlier. And the trend has now caught on outside of retail. There are people in my neighborhood who have their Christmas lights up AND on every night. Hell, I just had my son take down the Halloween lights and decorations (which is something I fought against for years--lights for anytime but Christmas seems stupid, but he wanted to do them, so...)

I think I know why everything is so rushed this year. It's those damn Mayans' fault. It's the end of the world thing. (You can thank me for not making the R.E.M. reference there. That song never leaves the mind once it gets in. Oops, now it's there. Damn R.E.M!) 

The world is supposed to end on December 21, so the thought seems to be why not get as much Christmas as you can before disaster comes raining on our heads? I guess I can understand that. I enjoy Christmas, so the thought that I won't get to see another one makes me sad. I think the people I'm seeing out there subconsciously think that so they have Christmas lights up a month earlier than usual to squeeze as much holiday cheer as possible out of the remaining days.

For once I won't fight a trend. While I don't plan on supporting this next year if the world doesn't end on the winter solstice, I'm going to enjoy it this year.  So I'm going with the idea of celebrating as much as I can before the end comes. I'll be grabbing the egg nog later today and since it's supposed to warm up this weekend, I'll be sending the boy out to put up the Christmas lights. And in that spirit, here's my Christmas tree, newly purchased last night and up in my foyer.


I'll be putting the decorations on it this weekend. But if the world doesn't end on December 21, 2012, next year, I'm back to this:




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are skipping the tree altogether this year....or I thought we were. Nicholas is already wanting the lights up now. By the way David turns 40 on 12-21-12 we are having an "End of the World" party here and you should come!!

Unknown said...

Lovely tree, Gabrielle! I've told the kiddos that they can set up theirs while I clean the Thanksgiving dishes.

And we might as well rock it until the end, right! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Tiffany! I wish I could go to David's party. Wish him happy birthday for me before all hell breaks loose! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for coming by, Talina! And I'm all about rockin' it to the end. If it's ending, I'm going out in a blaze of glory!

Carin said...

curse you Gabrielle for getting the R.E.M. song stuck in my head!